Sunday, January 22, 2012

South American Salsa: Wrought Iron and Sunshine

Black wrought iron curls against a brick red apartment building, roses and lily-like flowers peeking standing in clear relief. I take a deep breath, shift my bag of snack food, yogurt, and chocolate to the other hand, and resist the urge to wiggle my shoulders in the delightful energy of the late afternoon sunshine. This has always been my favorite time of day, when light bathes buildings yellow, the breeze hints of nighttime cool, and humanity shrugs off a long day and anticipates sunset.


Ashley, Chelsie, and I adventure off the beach
Maybe a little more of an adventure than we
expected :)
My bright pink shoulders have finally turned a milky gold. Somehow, I managed to escape reburning at the beach yesterday, a tiny miracle compared to the crashing waves and hot sand. Images of yesterday’s adventures flash in quick succession. Walking way too far in search of a sandy beach amidst jewel colored, ocean smoothed rocks. The desperate, stupid decision to hail a cab instead of call one. A nerve-wracking ride through the cracking buildings and hair-raising traffic to an unknown destination. Relief when the beach actually existed and bonus, had sand. The oasis of green, mosaic, watery, vendor-filled park after a day in the sun. Chilling with Ashley and Chelsie in a cool house with peaceful pictures. Navigating a new combi route, squished between strangers. The apartment where I live, the one with black iron art and brick red walls and roses.
Nighttime celebration of Lima's 477th birthday!

Yesterday was one more adventure to add to my first 2 weeks in Peru. There was the crowded, luminescent celebration of Lima’s birthday in Plaza de Armas, complete with too loud speakers, cultural shows, and a trip to McDonalds (yeah, snicker mcflurries!). Oh, and the trip to the zoo with classmates and Peruvian friends. And admiring oil paintings by a cathedral in Miraflores. The artisan’s market with soft al-paca fur, bright colors, and booths (love it!). And reading ancient pre-Incan legends in Peruvian Literature. Then the song we dissected in Conversation class that almost made me cry for home (though I wasn’t sure which one). Being able to tell a taxi driver how to get to my apartment. Hiding behind sunglasses so people don’t stare as much. Laughing with Roxana, our housekeeper, when we startle each other coming around the corner. The peaceful nights through my window that suspend squares of light and salsa notes in the dark air.

Balancing my bag of goodies, I smile as more salsa music drifts through the courtyard of my apartment complex. The outer door snaps open to my key’s prompting, and I head inside to rest before next week’s adventure.

No comments: