Thursday, January 5, 2012

South American Salsa: The Adventure (Almost) Begins

I can already feel the hum of the jet engines. The flight attendant steps to the center of the aisle with that awkward seat strap model. I could probably give the safety speech as well as her, but I take the safety brochure out of the seat in front of me and look at the pictures anyway. My mind is crystal clear and as taut as a bow string, the adrenaline surging through my body. I force myself to breathe deeply and stare out the window as the trees and cement blur into streaks of color. The wheels lift off the tarmac, and for a moment the plane seems weightless. No turning back now.


But all of that is tomorrow. Tomorrow night, I’ll be walking off of my third plane for the day and into the next adventure: Lima, Peru. Today, I’m still in Little Sweden, USA, savoring and storing up the last bits of home.

Whether you’ve been following for awhile or are new to my blog, welcome to the first entry in my latest blog series: South American Salsa. Yeah, salsa is probably a little too Mexican to be part of the title for a Peruvian adventure, but I couldn’t help it. Plus, salsa contains a plethora of different taste sensations and vegetables (I promise I won’t use bad words too often ;) that make a bowl of yummy goodness in the end. I’m hoping to give you an array of details and experiences that will delight our senses and piece together a new culture. And those of you who complain about my blogging laziness (ahem, Rob) will be happy to know that one of my classes requires that I update at least 2-3 times a month, so watch my Facebook status!

So here’s the basic scoop:

Destination: Lima, Peru

Place of Study: La Universidad Peruana de Ciencias Aplicadas (Peruvian University of Applied Sciences)

Length of trip: January 6- April 30

Reason for trip: get better at Spanish, see cool places, learn from new people, and discover more about Jesus

Going back to UNK in the fall? Yes- unless God changes the plan like He so loves doing

Best way to contact me? Email or Facebook

Welcome to the adventure! More to come.

No comments: