Friday, March 23, 2012

South American Salsa: Precious Moments

Sand spits in my face as we race up the dune, and I press my lips together to avoid an open mouthed laugh. We crest the dune and the wheels spin over thin air for a moment before diving down the vertical slope. My stomach drops delightfully as we hit the end of the slope and take sharp right, tires throwing clouds of moist sand. A few minutes later, we come to a stop at the top of dune and our driver does a quick photo shoot before untying the sand boards from the frame of the buggy. Steph, Chelsie and I each take a turn whizzing down the dune.

And that was just the first afternoon at Las Dunas Resort in Ica, a 4 hour bus ride south of Lima. Over our two and a half days there, we managed to fit in pool time, horseback riding through the dunes, a visit to the unique Islas Ballestas (home of sea lions, pelicans, seagulls and penguins), a 2 hour soccer game (my bruises are still healing), and a karaoke night. The weekend was a part of our package price for the semester, and it was a blast!

Since we returned from Ica a couple weeks ago, life has been filled with class, homework, friends, and Spanish tutoring. A while back, I felt challenged to put more effort into my language study. My Spanish tutor, Zule, has been very good at working with me to get a deeper study on areas that I have problems in. This week, one assignment was to write an article in Spanish on a city I’ve lived in or visited. After I correct it, I’m hoping it will become my first Spanish blog post! I have also gone to a couple of our “conversation tables”—basically, people from my group get together with other UPC students and talk about life. Two days a week we talk in Spanish and the other two in English. Although I haven’t been a regular, I have enjoyed the hours spent there in the last couple weeks.

I’ve also had the chance to meet some new friends. Last Saturday, I was invited to a private beach by the daughter of one of my host mom’s friends. It was a nice chance to speak Spanish for an extended period of time and relax away from crowded Lima. I had the opportunity to get to know my new friends Karla, Andre, and Renzo. We strolled through a well-known, upper-end shopping center called Asia on the way back to Lima- I even got serenaded by Mariachi band from Mexico!

Today, I was invited to visit the mother and godfather of my Peruvian friend, Alicia, who I met 6 or 7 years ago working at Bethany Home. I randomly ran into Alicia in Walmart a couple weeks before I came to Peru and talking with her relieved some stress about coming to a new country. Today I was able to deliver some vitamins to her mother, share a delicious lunch, and chat with Alicia and husband over Skype. It was fun to be with her family and talking to her, even though we are thousands of miles apart. Through listening and participating in their conversation, I learned another perspective on some of the politics and recent history of Peru that was a little different than what I have heard in several of my classes, which has left me with some things to process.

With just five and half weeks left in Peru, I’m feeling both excited to return to the States and surprised at how fast these last few months have flown by. With my remaining time here quickly filling with work and fun, I am grateful for the opportunities, lessons, and friends that I’ve made and am expecting many more precious moments in Peru J.

Pool area at Las Dunas Resort- so very refreshing after
a hot day in the desert!
Hanging with the dune buggy :)








We survived!!!
Speeding over the dunes! Look out below!!!
Las Islas Ballestas- home to all sorts
of intersting sea creatures!
Penguins on las Islas Ballestas! No icebergs here!
Horseback riding in the dunes! It's been
awhile, but I loved it!

Dr. Aviles' birthday dinner back in Lima. We went to this
yummy Thai place with a really cool atmosphere. MMM!!!

Relaxing at the beach south of Asia with my new friends!

Draping tree flowers at the resort

More pretty tree flowers- God takes my breath away sometimes :)

No comments: